Advantages of Reading Fundraisers
There are several benefits of reading fundraisers that can bring positive outcomes for the children.
- It encourages the students to read more and more
- It can be done at the premises of the house, campuses, or a hybrid combination
- This exercise is suitable for the children of different age groups
- Minimal or no up-front cost and you can raise as much money as you can
- It builds a community of reading (highly beneficial for the mental development of children)
Suitable Time To Hold a Reading Fundraiser
They can be held at any time of the year, but the most popular times are the beginning of the academic year and National Reading Month (March). The winter months can be a great time as well, when there are relatively fewer options available for raising funds.
Most of the groups run their reading fundraisers for a time period of two weeks. The style of conducting a Read-A-Thon depends on if you are carrying it out during schools hours or outside schools hours.
- Five to ten 30 minutes sessions during class, for over 2 weeks
- Fifteen to twenty minutes sessions in class, for over 3 weeks
- Complete-time of 2 weeks out of the class
- One-hour session in the afternoon (after the school time) for 4 weeks
- If you succeed in maintaining the required motivation level, you can carry on this exercise for an entire term
Secure Online Payment Processing
Sponsors can make fixed amount donations or pledges based on the number of minutes or books read. Make sure the platform you use has an easy method to track how much has been read and raised by student, class, and school-wide. The platform should also includes an easy and intuitive way to incorporate check and cash donations for those donors who wish to contribute offline.
Incentives – The Best Part Of The Reading Fundraiser
Kids love incentives, and what is better than raising money for school expenses through the habit of reading? Incentives serve as a catalyst to maintain the required level of motivation toward reading and meeting deadlines.
Prizes can be distributed on the basis of the number of books or minutes read by the children, or based on many other metrics. Most platforms have some form of an instant reward systems, some have reward stores, and some allow for customized incentives based on the needs of your students.
Involvement Of Administrators, Teachers, And Parents
Read-A-Thon style fundraisers encourage a close collaboration between administrators, teachers, and parents. Although the involvement of teachers is not required, it is highly recommended as teacher involvement can help the kids and usually results in more successful fundraisers.
As an administrator, you have your dashboard where you can get all the real-time information. Administrators also have access to the class and reader’s data.
As a parent, you will only require around 2 to 3 minutes to sign up for the fundraiser. Parents help to keep the child on track and monitor their progress.
As a teacher, you get a dashboard similar to that of an admin’s dashboard. These dashboards are highly beneficial to maintain a piece of real-time information. When conducting the reading sessions in class, teachers can record the sessions. Teachers can also access the information related to funds raised.
When selecting the best reading fundraiser, it is significant to look for fundraisers that have a team of professional experts, a well-organized system, and a pool of resources to offer quality services and facilities to execute a successful reading fundraiser.